The American road trip: a destination shrouded with optimism; the limitless horizon your only obstacle; all the required power at your fingertips, in your control; the speed and momentum of the movement, the hum of the road, the purifying wind through open windows, all to assure you, you are on the right path. The road trip is quintessentially American, in both metaphor and experience.
And an essential component to any road trip is the soundtrack. A steady-driving beat, a story of exploration, epicness to match the journey, or even the permission to sing it like no one’s listening, can turn any song into the perfect road trip song.
- Eve 6 – Open Road Song Anyone who knows me is not surprised by this…
- Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers – Runnin’ Down A Dream Really, any song (or trip) sounds good in the key of Tom Petty.
- Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova – Lies Belt this one, please. You don’t even need to know the words.
- No Doubt – Tragic Kingdom Like Knights of Cydonia, but way before Knights of Cydonia
- Hanson – MMMBop & Third Eye Blind – Semi Charmed Life C’mon, you can’t help but car-dance to this stuff!
- Neil Young – Long May You Run